Grillin’ and chillin’ outside is in full swing. We may not officially be in the summer season yet, but once Memorial Day has come and gone, it’s summer in everyone’s mind.
With all of the meals you will be cooking on those grills (charcoal, gas, smokers, pizza ovens, etc,), you’ll need some side dishes. After all, it’s not fair for the grilling chef to have to cook everything.
Cool salads are a healthy and refreshing accompaniment to hot grilled food. How about having a little fun with the presentation by serving a layered salad in a pretty clear bowl? You’ll get plenty of oohs and ahs when you bring it out—and again, when your family and friends taste it!
Layered Summer Salad
Courtesy of Food.com
- 4 cups torn spinach
- 1 ½ cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced, separated into rings
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen green peas, thawed, drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained, and crumbled
- Layer spinach, 1 cup cheese, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, and peas in a 3 quart serving bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, and basil.
- Spread over salad, completely covering top of salad (gently spread mayonnaise mixture over entire salad, sealing edges to lock in taste).
- Refrigerate at least 5 hours.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese and the bacon just before serving.